Sunday, July 26, 2009

Train Trip 2009: Part 1

My grandparents took all the grandkids who wanted to go, on a train trip for two weeks. Our stops were to include all church and national historic sites. We left June 28th at 3:00am for the train station in Winslow. From there, we boarded for a 30 hour train ride to Chicago,IL. And I have to say... I loved the train. It got kind of gross towards the end, but all in all it was a great way to travel. From Chicago, we rented vans and took off for another 6 hour drive to Springfield,IL where we spent the day seeing Lincoln Country.
Abe Lincoln Quote after elected president
Whitney and Chelsea in Lincoln Home
Lincoln's "float" for the parade for president
Abe Lincoln Home

Original furnace in Lincoln home



On this same leg of the trip we also visited "New Salem". A small community founded by Abraham Lincoln.






3 comments:

Dustin said...

Great pictures! I love the one of you guys looking out the window!

Mark and Jessica said...

Wow, what a train ride - 30 hours?!? That's crazy! Looks like a fun trip, though.

Taralee said...

So...I think I need more details on the THIRTY hour train ride. WHere did you sleep? How often did you stop? What kind of train was it? Did you smell like coal? I'm curious. THIRTY hours is a LONG time.
You all are just all so darn pretty. I'm looking forward to more pictures and stories from your adventure.